Cannabis as a medicine has come a long way in recent years, re-establishing itself as a wholesome, natural and safe way to restore and maintain homeostasis and balance in a wide range of disease processes through enhancement of the body’s ‘endocannabinoid system’.
The endocannabinoid system is relatively new to science,
but ancient in its existence. It is the physiological interplay
of hormones and receptors found throughout the central
and peripheral nervous system and all tissues of the major
organs in humans and animals alike. It maintains balance
in the biological, emotional and psychological systems of
the human body. It affects sleep cycles, moods and emotions, gastrointestinal function, cognition and concentration,
and the perception and presentation of pain and pleasure.
Despite some misguided opinions, the biochemical research, evidence and efficacy is now readily available. A good starting point for the curious or dubious can start here.
Who we are
Dr Jay Phang's medical career has spanned over 20 years in Emergency Medicine,
General Practice and Medical Acupuncture.
Dr Jay has focused his medical work in the provision and access of quality, affordable medicinal cannabis to his Surf Coast community, while his health allows him. Dr Jay has young onset Parkinson’s Disease and benefits from the use of medicinal cannabis. The clinic is in its infant stages and operates on Wednesdays and Fridays.
The CCC was established in 2020 by Dr Jay Phang in memory of his good friend and mentor Steve Perry who passed away from cancer in 2018. "Mahalo for the good times and friendship."
Will I qualify for medicinal cannabis?
If you; have had a medical condition for 3 or more months, and regular medication has failed to treat your condition, or given you unwanted /unpleasant side effects... then it is likely that you will qualify for medicinal cannabis.
Currently the Therapeutic Guidelines of Australia (TGA) classifies medicinal cannabis as experimental. This will change in time as its benefits are fully re-appreciated. As such, medicinal cannabis is allowed to be prescribed for specific conditions that must be adhered to.This is not recreational cannabis use. The dosages and formulations are utilised to provide healing, not ‘highs’.
Dr Jay is an authorised prescriber of medicinal cannabis. This means that for set conditions under the Therapeutic Guidelines of Australia, he has the experience and authority to prescribe Medicinal Cannabis. For other conditions, he can apply for special permission that may require further information from you. The TGA Approved Medical Conditions include:
• Chronic pain
• Chronic Insomnia
• Neuropathic pain
• Multiple Sclerosis
• Parkinson’s Disease
• Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
• Cancer Pain
• Palliative Care
• Chemotherapy/Cancer Treatment Induced Nausea and Vomiting
• Spasticity from Neurological conditions
Cost of consultations and appointments:
Is medicinal cannabis right for me?
• Telehealth Consultation
• Usually 5-10 minutes
• Medicare rebate for existing patients $17.75
• No Medicare rebate for new patients
to Karuna Medicine.
Cost $150 - $250
• Usually 15-30 minutes
• Medicare rebate $75.05 - $110.50
• Detailed medical history and/or examination, management plan, product selection and planned follow up, consent and paperwork, provision of medicinal cannabis prescription.
In Person Enquiry
• Usually 5-20 minutes
• Medicare rebate $38.75
• Will include discussion of suitability of medicinal cannabis to your specific situation and conditions and planning for First Consultation.
• Submission of indicated paperwork and administration with TGA.
• Includes completion of consent forms/questionnaire and provision of product information, release of medical information from other specialists or GP’s.
Follow Up Consultations
• Usually 2 weeks after First Consultation.
usually 5-20 minutes
• Medicare rebate $37.60
• Discuss initial response to treatment, dosage changes, goal setting and refinement of individualised treatment plan
• Further consultations which involve further dosage adjustments, changes in other medication and monitoring of side effects and clinical response will be planned, and are charged at same rate. These are usually monthly as needed.
To book an appointment please call Karuna Maya Medicine Tree
The fee schedule aims to provide the most cost effective provision available for personalised, professional Medicinal Cannabis Therapy. All fees are to be paid by EFTPOS on the day of your appointment. Medicare rebates are issued immediately via the HICAPS system. Failure to attend appointments without at least 12 hours notice will be charged a $50 penalty fee due to the demand and limited days the CCC currently operates.